19 December 2007

Typing Heroism

I'm now two weeks into the post-qwerty period of my life. To celebrate, I subjected my laptop to the switch:



The paper clip method worked very nicely and never made me feel like I might break anything.

I feel a slight desire to proselytize. I'm not going to knock on doors with a book of mormon, but I would like to be scientific about gathering evidence to make my case.

Before the switch, I was pretty fast on qwerty:

typingtest.com - default settings, Zebras
Accuracy: 94%
Gross Speed: 58 WPM

Irrational side of...:
Accuracy: 96%
Gross Speed: 65 WPM

Then I changed keys, and my last blog post was 407 words in about an hour:

week 0:
6.8 wpm

Only 10 times slower... but I would forget the end of my sentences by the time I got there.

week 2
Accuracy: 100%
Gross Speed: 27 WPM

So now I'm up to half my original speed. This doesn't exactly make the case, but I'm getting there.

I also made a quick Flash version of the typing lesson I've been working through, and would like to make a real game out of it. It's at TypingHero.com.

1 comment:

touchtyping said...

Great............
Keep it up...........:)
Touch Typing | Online Touch Typing