17 August 2007

FeedBurner, finally!

I have sort of known in the back of my head that I ought to have my feed managed better. It would be nice to see who is subscribed, both because I don't really want to blog to hear myself talk, and also because you get an incentive to write more interesting and useful stuff if there's an audience.

So I hooked up feedburner, and was pleasantly surprised by how useful it is. Not only do I get my basic readership metrics, it also manages the trick of getting existing subscribers under the metrics (by telling blogger to redirect requests for the feed URL) and lets me fold in daily bookmark digests and photos.

Hopefully my 2 readers (?) will also enjoy my random API and documentation bookmarks (?) and at the same time, my attempts to do film photography (?).

Now I am wondering how to advertise my Twitter and Skype and Facebook and so on. I guess it's good to make them widgets on the right side of the blog, and just assume that one URL will give away my complete identity. Maybe hCard is good for this? I do feel like my "Card", whether it's vCard or whatever, should have my contact info including many URL's, and should be easy to broadcast my card to *everyone*, not just online friends. Then the offline people like grandma get my new phone number, and online people get the skype ID, and all is well.

That would be another reason to try out one of the email->snail mail gateways - I can subscribe my grandmother to my vCard feed and she'll get it via postal mail... slick. Except then she'll call me wondering why I sent her a letter, just because I added a web 2.0 service to my card... maybe I should think about that some more.

1 comment:

Jesse Kuhnert said...

Yes feedburner is great for tracking subscribers n stuff I guess.

One of your subscribers would appreciate it if you found a way to post your delicious links "once" each day in a batch somehow - such as what Dion does at http://www.almaer.com/blog/ . (I have no idea how he does it - probably some fancy plugin thing somewhere or he just changed the parameters somehow)